The Department of Music offers an innovative undergraduate program that confers a bachelor’s degree and a minor in music. The Department’s dynamic faculty offer strong support for undergraduate research and creative expression. Undergraduates also engage with the Department’s renowned graduate programs and are encouraged to actively participate in all aspects of the Department’s research and performance culture.
Undergraduates choose a course of study from among 5 MAJOR TRACKS, which offer students a broad foundation in music scholarship while tailoring specific elements of music study to the student’s individual talents and interests.
An audition is not required in order to declare a major or minor in music, but interested students should schedule an appointment to meet with Prof. Roger Zahab, Director of Undergraduate Studies or Dr. Susan Rice, Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies prior to completing declaration paperwork.
- Download the Quick Guide – Music Advisor Questions for help contacting an advisor.
- Download Planning Benchmarks for Music Majors & Minors to be certain you're staying on track each semester.
COMPOSITION – intended for those interested primarily in creating music of any genre, acoustic or electroacoustic
GLOBAL & POPULAR MUSIC – offers an interdisciplinary grounding in the study of diverse musical expressions in contemporary and historical perspective
JAZZ – provides opportunities for each student to develop their individual interests and strengths in jazz performance, composition, and scholarship
MUSIC & CULTURAL HISTORY – provides a background in the history, culture, and practice of music in the Western imagination
PERFORMANCE – intended for those who want to explore and improve their skills as performers in a wide rage of genres
Students are taught by a well-respected faculty of internationally recognized scholars, performers and composers. Students receive individualized attention and are mentored in ways that maximize student potential and growth.
Students contemplating a music major or minor should meet with Roger Zahab, Director of Undergraduate Studies, or Susan Rice, Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies, to discuss a course of study that best suits the student’s level of preparedness and career goals.
Prerequisite course for the Music Major and Music Minor
MUSIC 0100: Fundamentals of Western Music – 3 credits
- Students must earn a letter grade of B- or better in this course in order to declare a Music Major or Minor
- Students may elect to take the Music Theory placement exam in lieu of enrolling in MUSIC 0100. The exam is administered in the Dietrich School Advising Center, 201 Thackeray Hall. A passing grade of 80% is required in order for the placement exam to meet this requirement.
- Credits: each track in the Music Major requires the completion of 42 credits; the Music Minor requires the completion of 20 credits (see the detailed list of courses required for each Track)
- Grades: a minimum GPA of 2.0 in Music Department courses is required for graduation
- S/NC: no course that counts toward the Major can be taken using the Satisfactory/No Credit grade option
- Writing (W): at least one W-course must be completed in the Major
- Related area: an official Dietrich School minor, a Dietrich School or UCIS certificate, or a minimum of 12 credits must be taken in any one Dietrich School department, chosen in consultation with the Music Major Track Advisor
- Performance courses: each track in the Major and the Minor require performance courses, which may include ensemble participation or private lessons. All students interested in taking private lessons must complete a Request for Private Lessons form available in the Music Department main office (room 110). Majors will have first priority in scheduling private lessons, which carry an additional cost of $395 per term
All of the following must be earned in order to graduate with Departmental Honors as a Music Major:
- minimum 3.25 cumulative QPA
- minimum 3.50 QPA in music courses
- no grade lower than B- in music courses
Prof. Roger Zahab
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Music
Dr. Susan Rice
Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Music